Potato, leek, bacon & rosemary soup.
Most of the soups that I make are first for my parents, and second for Elaine and me. This one combines potatoes which are my mother’s favourite and bacon which is my father’s absolute favourite… he’ll eat it on anything or on its own, but it’s a super treat in a hearty soup.
The leeks and rosemary add the layers of flavour that Elaine and I appreciate.
A delicious soup on a cool evening, with fresh warm bread for dipping.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 strips of thick cut bacon, chopped
- 3 leeks, white & light green parts, sliced and well washed (12-14 oz)
- 4 medium yellow potatoes (skin on), washed and diced
- 6 cups of hot vegetable stock
- 2 sprigs of rosemary, leaves removed (about 2 tablespoons)
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 3 tablespoons milk (or cream)
- 4 slices of crispy thick cut bacon
Melt the butter & oil in a 4 quart saucepan over medium heat, add the bacon and onion, fry, stirring occasionally until they start to turn golden.
Add in the leeks and potatoes, stir well, then cover and turn down the heat to low. Cook gently for 5 mins, stirring occasionally.
Pour in the stock, add the rosemary and season well with salt & pepper, then bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 20-25 mins until the vegetables are soft.
Let cool for a few mins, then blend in a food processor in batches until smooth. Return to the pan, pour in the sour cream & milk, stir well to combine. Taste and season if necessary. Simmer for 5-10 minutes.
Serve topped with tasty crisp bacon and enjoy with warm crusty bread on the side.
This Potato, Leek, Bacon & Rosemary Soup was made and served in my stunning Hestan CopperBond Induction Copper 4-Quart Saucepan.