These Crispy Chicken Sandwiches have a deliciously flavourful breadcrumb coating, that blends panko with Sunny Dog Spicy Dill Pickle Monterey Jack Cheese. Once fried to golden and crispy, the chicken is smothered in melted Spicy Dill Pickle Cheese, then topped with warm tomato sauce and fresh basil. Served on garlic butter toasted buns with more sauce for dipping! These reimagined Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches may be best sandwiches you will ever make!
It is no secret, that we love big, bold flavours! So, when Bothwell approached me to partner with them to develop a recipe using their NEW Sunny Dog Spicy Dill Pickle Monterey Jack Cheese you could only image my excitement! Opinions in this post are my own.
Watch how these Crispy Chicken Sandwiches were made here.
If you enjoyed this recipe, check out my Herbs & Garlic Cheese Jalapeño Biscuits and Red Wine Cheddar Crostini & Endive Boats that were also made with Bothwell cheese.
Tried this recipe?
If you get the chance to try this recipe, please drop back and leave us comment and rating. We would love to know what you think.
Cheers! James & Elaine
Crispy Chicken Sandwiches
- 4 chicken cutlets 120g to 140g each (or 2 large chicken breasts sliced in half lengthwise)
- ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs whisked
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 250 g Sunny Dog Spicy Dill Pickle Monterey Jack Cheese grated (divided)
- 2 cups canola oil
- 4 buns slightly smaller than the cutlets. (We used Portuguese rolls)
- ⅓ cup garlic butter at room temperature or slightly melted (see below)
- 480 ml tomato sauce I use Arrabbiata for a hint of spice
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- ⅓ cup butter at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons oil olive
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- tablespoon chopped fresh parsley.
- In a shallow bowl, mix the flour and spices together. In another shallow bowl whisk the eggs. In a third shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs and ½ cup of the grated Spicy Dill Pickle Cheese.
- Prepare the chicken for frying by dredging the cutlets in the following order: first flour, then egg, next breadcrumbs, then egg, finally breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot (350°F is the target temperature).
- With a rack in the lower third of the oven, preheat the oven on broil.
- Place the tomato sauce in a small saucepan and simmer over very low heat.
- Fry the chicken, two at a time, for 3 to 4 minutes each side, until coating is golden and crispy. (The oil temperature will drop when you put the chicken in, so raise the temperature to medium-high for the first 30 to 45 seconds. Monitor the temperature, so as not to exceed much more than 355°F.)
- Place the fried chicken cutlets on an oven safe rack, placed over a foil lined baking sheet, then fry the remaining two cutlets.
- Top each piece of chicken with ¼ of the remaining Spicy Dill Pickle Cheese. Broil the chicken for about 3 to 4 minutes until the cheese is melted. (Monitor this part carefully, so the chicken does not burn.)
- Make the garlic butter in advance. Mix together the butter, oil, garlic, and parsley.
- Cut buns in half, brush the garlic butter on both sides of the bun, then toast under the broiler for 2 to 4 minutes. (Monitor carefully, so as not to burn.)
- Spoon ⅓ cup marinara sauce on each chicken cutlet and sprinkle with chopped basil. Place on buns and serve with remaining sauce and additional basil.
Leave a Reply