Grilled spicy Korean BBQ wings & drums. Topped with white & black sesame seeds, Korean chives, hot peppers and green onions. Toppings optional, but highly recommended!
- 4 lbs chicken wings
- 4 tablespoons dry rub (see below* or use your favourite store bought)
- 1 cup Spicy Korean BBQ Sauce (make your own or use your favourite store bought)
- Sesame seeds, sliced green onions, sliced hot peppers, chopped chives – for topping wings
Prepare your grill for two zone cooking – one side set for indirect cooking and one side for direct cooking. In a charcoal grill, place all the charcoal on one side, and for a gas grill just turn half the burners on. The interior temperature of your grill should be about 325ºF.
While the grill preheats, toss the wings in your dry rub and set aside.
Place the chicken wings over the indirect heat (no charcoal side or unlit burner section) and cook for 12-15 minutes per side.
After 25-30 minutes, move the wings to the direct heat side and cook for about 8-10 minutes total, flipping frequently. Until the skin to turns a golden brown. Once the skin is golden brown, toss (or brush) the wings with your BBQ sauce and return to the indirect section of the grill for 8-10 minutes to allow the sauce to set.
Serve sprinkled with sesame seeds, green onions, hot peppers (chives optional, but suggested!)
*** Make your own sauce or buy an imported pre-made sauce. (Example – CJ Chicken & Pork, Korean BBQ Original Sauce, Hot & Spicy Marinade – S. Korea) ***
SPICY KOREAN BBQ SAUCE
- 1 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce (not regular soy sauce)
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup gochujang
- 6 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons mirin 4 tablespoons mild honey
- 2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoon grated fresh ginger root
- 2 green onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 of a ripe pear, any variety, peeled, cored, and grated on the finest side of a box grater
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Korean chili pepper powder (or crushed red pepper flakes)
In a large pot, combine all the ingredients, stir well while bringing to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
*DRY RUB – Mix together:
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
Love wings? Here are a few other wing recipes of mine: