Air-Fried Everything Pigs in a Blanket (Made in the Joule™ Oven Air Fryer Pro)
Elaine and I were discussing ideas for some quick, easy, and most importantly, tasty appetizers to put out for NYE. So, Elaine went straight to the Breville Joule™ Oven App and searched appetizers. Scrolling down this Williams Sonoma Test Kitchen recipe caught her eye. It checked all the boxes, it was super quick, incredibly easy and the combination of honey-mustard and Everything Bagel seasoning sounded tasty!
Once the cocktail sausages were rolled with the honey-mustard sauce in the strips of puff pastry, the rolls were sprinkled with Everything Bagel seasoning and tossed in the fridge until it was time to cook them. All that was left to do was tap the “Start preheat” button on the app and the Joule™ Oven Air Fryer Pro took over. Air fried at 400°F for 8 minutes, then I tapped the “A Bit More” button, to brown them just a bit more.
Flakey, flavourful, fabulous! This recipe makes 12 pigs in a blanket, but we highly recommend you double, if not triple the recipe!
These make ahead Air-Fried Everything Pigs in a Blanket would also make a fantastic game day snack!
Ingredients for pigs in a blanket
Honey mustard sauce:
- Yellow mustard
- Dijon mustard
- Apple cider vinegar
- Pinch of cayenne pepper optional
For the Pigs:
- Cocktail sausages
- Puff pastry, thawed
- Everything Bagel Seasoning
- *Avocado oil or canola oil cooking spray
- Hot mustard
Puff pastry tips:
Work quickly. If the puff pastry starts getting warm it becomes harder to use and will not puff up as nicely. Simply place pastry back into the fridge for 5-10 minutes, then continue rolling and wrapping the pigs.
Watch how make pigs in a blanket here.
Recipe by the Williams Sonoma Test Kitchen. The baking method in this recipe has been adapted by Breville for the Joule™ Oven Air Fryer Pro. This guided recipe can be found on the Joule™ Oven app.
You can check out my review of the Breville Joule™ Oven here.
TRIED THIS RECIPE?
If you get the chance to try this recipe, please drop back and leave us a comment and rating. We would love to know what you think.
Cheers! James & Elaine
Air-Fried Everything Pigs in a Blanket
For the honey mustard sauce:
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Pinch of cayenne pepper optional
For the Piggies:
- 12 cocktail sausages patted dry
- 1 sheet puff pastry thawed
- 1 egg lightly beaten (for the egg wash)
- 1 tablespoon Everything Bagel Seasoning
- *Avocado oil or canola oil cooking spray (only If you are using a air fry basket)
For serving, optional
- Hot mustard
- Prepare the honey mustard sauce. In a small bowl, stir together the honey, both mustards, mayonnaise, vinegar, and cayenne until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Roll and cut puff pastry. On a lightly floured work surface, gently roll out or trim the puff pastry (depending on its original size) into an 8-by-12-inch rectangle. Then cut into 12 rectangles, each 2 by 4 inches.
- Tip: Work quickly. If the puff pastry starts getting warm it becomes harder to use and will not puff up as nicely. Simply place pastry back into the fridge for 5-10 minutes, then continue to work with it.
- Assemble. Spoon a ½ teaspoon honey-mustard sauce in the middle of the puff pastry rectangle and place a cocktail sausage on top. Brush both ends of the pastry with a little beaten egg. Tightly roll the puff pastry around the sausage and press to seal. Place rolled piggy’s seam side down, on the sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Repeat to make the remaining pigs in a blanket.
- Sprinkle Everything Bagel seasoning and chill: Brush the tops of the rolled pigs in a blanket with the remaining beaten egg and sprinkle with the everything bagel seasoning. Refrigerate, uncovered, for 30 minutes, or cover and refrigerate up to overnight.
- Tip: The pigs in a blanket can be wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and frozen up to 3 days.
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F. Insert wire rack to position 8, (*If you are using a fry basket spray pigs with oil.)
- Air Fry. Remove chilled pigs in a blanket from the refrigerator. Place pigs in a blanket, seam side down, in a single layer in the fry basket, making sure the seam is sealed to prevent the pastry from expanding during frying. Insert the basket into rack position 3 and start the timer for 8 mins.
- Tip. Leave some space between each one to promote a constant flow of air, which will maximize crispness.
- Check if it’s ready. Cook until the pastry is crisp, flaky, and golden brown if not give it a bit more time, approximately 4 minutes.
- Tip: We also rotated the pigs at this point from the front to back.
- Serve and enjoy. Remove piggies from the basket. Serve with the remaining honey mustard sauce and a hot mustard.