Roasted Garlic Hummus.
This recipe can be substituted with raw garlic, but when roasting the garlic, it caramelizes and adds a deliciously sweet and mellow complexity and depth to the hummus. The prep is minimal and is so worth the effort!
I use this hummus as a dip on its own, in my Roasted Cauliflower with Hummus Yogurt Dip or as a base for my Loaded Hummus with Air Fryer Harissa Sausage Balls.
What can I do with the Leftover Roasted Garlic?
- Do not worry about having leftovers. Once roasted, the garlic mellows into a sweet, caramelized spreadable treat that can be used in mashed potatoes, spread on toast, added into hamburger patties, added into guacamole, and can be substituted into a variety of recipes that call for raw garlic.
- Roasted garlic can be stored in an airtight container for 3-5 days. In our house it gets used way before the five days!
Tried this recipe?
If you get the chance to try this recipe, please drop back and leave us a comment and rating. We would love to know what you think.
Cheers! James & Elaine
Roasted Garlic Hummus
- 1 bulb of garlic 3 roasted cloves will be used in this recipe
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 2 cups canned chickpeas liquid reserved
- ½ cup tahini
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil plus extra for drizzling (optional)
- Juice of 1 lemon plus more as needed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 430°F.
- Slice off the very top of the garlic head. Drizzle with a splash of olive oil and wrap in foil. Place on a sheet tray and bake until tender when pierced with a knife and is fragrant, 40-50 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Squeeze out 3 cloves of garlic into the food processor, then add the chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper in a food processor and begin to process; add the chickpea liquid as needed to allow the machine to produce a smooth puree.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning (add more lemon juice if desired)
- Place in bowl as is and drizzle with olive oil (optional) and or add toppings such as chickpeas, your favourite herbs and spices like cyanine or paprika. Enjoy!