Herb Roasted Turkey with Roasted Garlic-Sour Cream & Chive Mashed Potatoes…. this is the meal that my dear sweet mother requested for Mother’s Day!
I asked her what meal she considered to be a special treat and she responded, “a roast turkey dinner with mashed potatoes.” Growing up, her family only had turkey at Christmas, and she wished that she could have had it for her May 15th birthday as well. Since mashed potatoes are her favourite food (year-round), they were a must have.
Watch the process video here:
Roasted Garlic, Sour Cream & Chive Mashed Potatoes
- 1 small head of garlic
- Olive oil
- 1½ to 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes washed, skin on
- 1½ to 2 pounds Red skinned potatoes washed, skin on
- ½ stick ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 430°F.
- Slice off the very top of the garlic head. Drizzle with a splash of olive oil and wrap in foil. Place on a sheet tray and bake until tender and fragrant, 30-40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool. Remove the cloves and mash with a fork.
- Put the potatoes into a large pot, cover them with cold water. Add ½ tablespoon of salt. Bring to a boil then cook at a gently boil until the potatoes are fork tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Drain well.
- Add the garlic, butter, sour cream & milk, then mash the potatoes until smooth. Fold in the chives.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.