Roasted Cauliflower with Hummus Yogurt Dip.
Elaine and I got hooked on a version of this appetizer at department store bar during their happy hour(s). There we would be innocently shopping away, when we would walk pass the bar, stop for a glass of wine, and inevitably order their crispy cauliflower with olives & hummus. The flavours and textures work so well together, and we feel less guilty because it’s cauliflower and chickpeas (right?) Like, it’s not a fried chicken sandwich loaded with bacon & aioli (not that we are against a delicious fried chicken sammie, but I am just trying to express how we justify day drinking to ourselves).
So, our version is a little lighter than the original version that got us hooked. Our cauliflower is roasted in a little olive oil. It’s not deep fried crispy but still crispy enough! We use hummus and Greek yogurt to make the dip, lighter and creamier. And of course, there’s a splash of hot sauce, cuz we like a little spice in our lives. Warm kalamata olives, finished with a sprinkle of feta and always fresh basil.
Delicious with traditional white cauliflower, but when we can find coloured cauliflower, caulilini, or Romanesco, we love to add that pop of colour, especially when we are serving guests!
We’ve also been known to add heirloom carrots, broccoli, or broccolini. All of which are delicious additions.
What is Caulilini?
There’s a new veg in town! As broccolini is to broccoli, caulilini is to cauliflower and is sometimes referred to as baby cauliflower. It’s an Asian-style variety and a member of the brassica family. We love it roasted, grilled and or raw as crudité.
Watch the process video here.
If you get the chance to try this recipe, please drop back and leave a comment and rating. We would love to know what you think.
Cheers! James & Elaine
Roasted Cauliflower with Hummus Yogurt Dip
- 1½ pounds cauliflower florets about 4 cups of bite sized pieces – I used a combination of purple, orange and caulilini.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 ounces Kalamata olives
- 1 cup of homemade hummus or your favourite store bought
- ⅔ cup plain 2% Greek yogurt
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-2 teaspoons hot sauce to taste
- ⅓ cup feta crumbled
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil roughly chopped
- For best results, dry the cauliflower well after washing
- Preheat the oven to 450°F
- Toss the cauliflower in olive oil, then season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Lightly coat the bottom of a metal baking sheet with olive oil.
- Heat the baking sheet for 2-3 minutes until hot and just beginning to smoke.
- Carefully add the cauliflower to the hot baking sheet, spacing the florets out, so they are not touching to avoid steaming. Put any cut sides down for a crispier surface area.
- Flip the cauliflower around 13-15 minutes into cooking. Then cook for 5 minutes more.
- Scatter the olives around the baking sheet, then cook for 5-7 minutes until cauliflower has crispy edges and olives are heated through.
- While the cauliflower is roasting, thoroughly mix together, the hummus, yogurt, lemon zest, lemon juice and hot sauce.
- Spread the hummus mixture evenly over a platter, then add the warm cauliflower & olives.
- Sprinkle with feta & basil.
- Serve & enjoy.
Hope you enjoy this Roasted Cauliflower with Hummus Yogurt Dip Recipe!
If your try our recipe, we would love it if you leave us a comment and a rating.
Have a delicious day! James (aka Zimmy) & Elaine