Mushroom, Pancetta and Asiago Burgers.
For these loaded burgers, it’s not the quantity of toppings that matters, it is the quality! These patties and their toppings are LOADED WITH FLAVOUR! The lean ground beef, roasted garlic & charred jalapeño patties, are grilled, then placed in the skillet to soak up all the mushroom flavour. Each patty is loaded with the sautéed mushrooms and asiago cheese. The toasted buns are layered with a horseradish-BBQ sauce, lettuce, pickles, next the loaded patties, then topped with mustard and crispy pancetta!
Grab a napkin and dig in!
Mushroom, Pancetta and Asiago Burgers
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons sweet onions finely chopped
- 3 cloves roasted garlic
- 1 charred jalapeño seeds optional
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons BBQ sauce
- 1 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons prepared hot horseradish
- *¼ cup olive oil for brushing patties before grilling
- 12 oz brown mushrooms sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove minced through a garlic press
- 6 oz asiago cheese grated (about 2 cups)
- 6 pancetta rounds
- 6 hamburger buns toasted just before assembling the burgers
- ½ cup BBQ sauce your favourite
- 1 tablespoon hot horseradish
- 6 large Boston lettuce leaves
- 6 large dill pickle slices – lengthwise “sandwich style” slices more if the slices are small
- Yellow mustard
- Place the onion, garlic, jalapeño, salt and pepper into a mini food processor, then blitz to chop. Add the eggs, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon, BBQ sauce & horseradish, then blitz to combine. (Alternatively: mince onion, garlic, and jalapeño finely and mix ingredients in a large bowl.)
- Add mixture to a large bowl, then add panko and stir to combine.
- Add beef to the bowl and mix until all ingredients are combined.
- Shape into 6 x 6 ¼-6 ½ oz patties (about ¾” thick x 4 ½” diameter). Using your thumb, press the middle of each patty a few times to create an indent that will keep the burgers from puffing up when cooked.
- Make a day ahead and refrigerate until ready to use. If using immediately, I suggest placing the patties on a tray lined with wax paper in the freezer for 30 minutes. I find they keep their shape better if they are cold when cooked.
Grilling the Burgers & Preparing the Toppings
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat (400°F – 450°F).
- In a small bowl mix together the BBQ sauce and horseradish, side aside until ready to assemble the burgers.
- Place a 12.5” skillet on the grill, add the butter and cook until it begins to melt. Add the mushrooms and toss to coat in the butter. Cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic, stir and cook for 4-5 minutes more. Move the pan to a low heat area of the grill and let the mushrooms cook while you make the burgers.
- Brush each patty with olive oil and place oil side down on the hot grill, then brush the top with a little oil while on the grill. Close lid and grill, turning once, then flipping about 4 minutes into the cook. Cook for 2-3 minutes more. Next, add the patties to the skillet, then pile all the mushrooms on top of the patties. Add the shredded asiago cheese on top of the mushrooms.
- Place an 11” skillet on the grill, then add the pancetta rounds.
- Close the lid, lower the heat to medium and cook for 4 minutes, flipping the pancetta two to three times.
- Toast the buns, turn off the grill and prepare to assemble the burgers.
- On the bottom of each bun spread some of the horseradish-BBQ sauce. Add the lettuce, then pickle. Next place a burger, with the mushrooms and cheese on top. Squeeze the yellow mustard over the cheese, then add the crispy pancetta and finish with the top of the bun.
- Serve and enjoy!
Hope you enjoy these Mushroom, Pancetta and Asiago Burgers!
We would love to here from you, please leave us your feedback in the comment box below.
Have a delicious day! James (aka Zimmy) & Elaine