We wanted to celebrate the humble carrot with a delicious side dish/appetizer that uses the entire vegetable including the tops. These carrots were glazed in a butter, garlic, thyme, Minneola orange, and honey mixture then served over a carrot top tahini sauce and couscous. The fresh, creamy tahini sauce is a flavourful compliment to the sweet, savoury citrus glazed carrots.
Not only is this side dish delicious, but it is also a great way to reduce food waste by using the carrot tops that are typically discarded.
A great side dish for four, or do what we did and enjoy this platter as an appetizer, with a glass of chardonnay.
Watch how these glazed carrots were made here.
They certainly are, we added them in to this tahini sauce recipe. We have also used them in pesto, chimichurri, and salads. So next time you purchase carrots, do not toss those tops!
International Carrot Day – April 4th
Will you be celebrating? Along with this recipe, another favourite carrot recipe is our Sous-Vide Carrots with Hummus recipe.
This recipe was made (and served) in my Hestan 5QT ProBond Sauté Pan and 1.5QT ProBond Saucepan on my Hestan Dual Fuel Range. Proud Hestan Culinary and Hestan Ambassador. Opinions in this post are my own.
TRIED THIS RECIPE?
If you get the chance to try this recipe, please drop back and leave us a comment and rating. We would love to know what you think.
Cheers! James & Elaine
Glazed Carrots with Carrot Top Tahini Sauce
- 1 pound carrots with carrot tops
- 40 g unsalted butter
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 6 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 Minneolas clementines, or small oranges
- 2 tablespoons liquid honey
- Salt and freshly ground pepper for seasoning
Carrot Top Tahini Sauce
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 small shallot diced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Juice of 1 lime
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup packed fresh carrot tops
- ½ cup tahini smooth & well-stirred
- 2 – 3 tablespoons water
- Pearl couscous or pearl couscous blend cooked according to package instructions
- Cilantro leaves
- Lime slices or wedges
- Aleppo pepper flakes *optional
- Trim the tops off the carrots, leaving 1 inch of the green for presentation. Wash the carrots and set aside.
- In a large pan with a lid, melt the butter over a medium heat.
- Crush the unpeeled garlic cloves and add to the pan. Turn the garlic after one minute.
- Add in the thyme sprigs, then squeeze in the Minneola juice, add the honey, and a ½ cup of water.
- Add the carrots, sprinkle with salt and pepper, then turn them to evenly coat them in the sauce. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
- Uncover the pan and cook, turning often until the carrots are glazed and caramelized for 5 – 10 minutes.
- While the carrots cook, add the garlic, shallot, salt, lime juice, lemon juice to the bowl of a food processor and let sit for 5 minutes. (This step will mellow the garlic.) Add the carrot tops and pulse to combine. Scrape the sides, then add tahini and blend until smooth. Taste, add more lime juice or salt, if desired. The sauce should be creamy and pillowy, not runny. If too thick, add water one tablespoon at a time, to the running food processor until the desired consistency is achieved. The sauce will firm up in the fridge.
- Serve carrots over the carrot top tahini sauce and pearl couscous. Top with cilantro leaves, pepper flakes, and lime slices or wedges.
Leave a Reply