Spicy Marinated Chicken Thighs.
Spicy, crispy, juicy, chicken thighs, roasted with charcoal and pecan wood.
It truly felt like spring today, so we fired up the Ooni Karu 16 Multi-Fuel Pizza Oven and roasted some mouth-watering chicken thighs.
The chicken was smothered in a blend of eight dry spices, fresh garlic, fresh cilantro, olive oil and tomato paste. Then place on a scorching hot Grizzler pan to roast for 35-45 minutes until nicely browned and the thighs registered about 185°F in thickest portion of the meat away from the bone. So good!
Served with a simple sides of wild rice and peas.
Proud Ooni Ambasssador. Opinions in this post are my own.
Ingredients for my easy marinade for chicken thighs:
- Tomato purée
- Olive oil
- Garlic cloves
- Fresh Cilantro
- Smoked & Spicy Paprika
- Chilli flakes
- Chilli Powder
- Sea salt
- Ground pepper
Watch how this Spicy Marinated Chicken Thighs recipe was made here.
TRIED THIS RECIPE?
If you get the chance to try this recipe, please drop back and leave us a comment and rating. We would love to know what you think.
Cheers! James & Elaine
Spicy Marinated Chicken Thighs
- 12 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs small
- 5 tablespoons tomato purée
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro plus more for garnish
- 1½ tablespoons paprika
- ½ tablespoons smoked & spicy paprika
- 2 teaspoons chilli flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- Pat chicken thighs dry with paper towels, then place them into a large bowl.
- Add in all the other ingredients and toss well to evenly coat the chicken. Transfer thighs to a baking sheet and set aside.
- Using a base of lump charcoal and fire starters, preheat the Ooni Karu 16 to about 425°F.
- Put the Ooni Dual Sided Grizzler pan in the oven, ridge side up, and heat for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Place the chicken thighs in tight bundles on the hot pan, in 3 rows of 4 thighs. Leave space between the skin sides for even browning.
- Put the pan into the oven, as close to the glass door (away from the charcoal) as possible. If the oven is running hot, open the fuel hatch to allow some heat escape up.
- Rotate the chicken every 5 to 7 minutes, allowing each row to spend an even amount of time at the back the pan closest to the heat source.
- Roast the chicken until the skin is nicely browned and thighs register about 180°F in thickest portion of the meat away from the bone, about 35 – 45 minutes.
- If the skin appears to be browning too much, loosely tent the chicken with tinfoil for the last 10 to 15 minutes of cooking.
- As the temperature starts to drop, add a few more pieces of charcoal, plus a chunk or two of wood for additional flavour. I like using Apple, Cherry, or Pecan chunks. Serve garnished with chopped cilantro.
Love the flavor of these chicken thighs!
Thank you very much, it’s one of our go-to chicken recipes!
Elaine & James