Savoury Apple-Brie Hand Pies.
These 6-ingredient pies were cooked in a wood oven using applewood for a kiss of smoked flavour. Finished with Maldon salt and hot honey. These tasty little packages are ideal for a wine & cheese event, a Thanksgiving dessert with a twist or an afternoon treat for the family with a mug of warm apple cider.
Fall is in the air and the aroma of these pies captures it beautifully. Someone should make a candle with these scents!
Puff pastry tip:
Work quickly. If the puff pastry starts getting warm it becomes harder to use and will not puff up as nicely. Simply place pastry back into the fridge for 5-10 minutes, then continue to work with it.
Watch the Process Video Here
Inspired by the sweet version created by @al_dante_channel
Tried this recipe?
If you get the chance to try this recipe, please drop back and leave us comment and rating. We would love to know what you think.
Cheers! James and Elaine
Savoury Apple-Brie Hand Pies
- 2 large Honey Crisp Apples peeled and sliced into ½” thick rings (6 to 8 rings)
- 1 package of puff pastry dough 454 g
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 4½ – 6 oz Brie thinly sliced
- Sprinkle of dried thyme leaves
- 1 egg beaten
- drizzle of hot honey
- Malden salt
- Preheat your Ooni pizza oven* to 350°F
- Peel and slice the apples into ½” thick rings, makes 6-8. Core the center of each ring using a 1 tsp measuring spoon (or an apple corer). Brush with apple cider vinegar to prevent browning.
- Sprinkle thyme over the apple slices, then top with Brie slices.
- On a surface dusted with flour, roll out a sheet of the puff pastry until it is 13 to 14-inches long. Cut the puff pastry into ¾” strips. Wrap each ring with the pastry.
- Brush with the egg wash.
- Preheat a baking tray or cast iron for 3-4 minutes before adding apples on the tray.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes or until pastry is browned, crispy and cooked through. Turn the tray every 5-6 minutes throughout the cook (rotate each pie halfway through cooking for even browning).
- Finish with a sprinkling of salt and drizzle with hot honey.
- *These can be baked in an indoor oven at 350°F for 20-25 minutes. Turn once during the cook.
- Not a savoury fan? Replace the thyme, brie, and salt with cinnamon, honey and a scoop of ice cream!
Hope you enjoy these Savoury Apple-Brie Hand Pies baked in the Ooni!
You may also like these other Ooni recipes –