Savoury Apple-Brie Hand Pies.
These 6-ingredient pies were cooked in a wood oven using applewood for a kiss of smoked flavour. Finished with Maldon salt and hot honey. These tasty little packages are ideal for a wine & cheese event, a Thanksgiving dessert with a twist or an afternoon treat for the family with a mug of warm apple cider.
Fall is in the air and the aroma of these pies captures it beautifully. Someone should make a candle with these scents!
Puff pastry tip:
Work quickly. If the puff pastry starts getting warm it becomes harder to use and will not puff up as nicely. Simply place pastry back into the fridge for 5-10 minutes, then continue to work with it.
Watch the Process Video Here
Inspired by the sweet version created by @al_dante_channel
TRIED THIS RECIPE?
If you get the chance to try this recipe, please drop back and leave us a comment and rating. We would love to know what you think.
Cheers! James & Elaine
Savoury Apple-Brie Hand Pies
- 2 large Honey Crisp Apples peeled and sliced into ½” thick rings (6 to 8 rings)
- 1 package of puff pastry dough 454 g
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 4½ – 6 oz Brie thinly sliced
- Sprinkle of dried thyme leaves
- 1 egg beaten
- drizzle of hot honey
- Malden salt
- Preheat your Ooni pizza oven* to 350°F
- Peel and slice the apples into ½” thick rings, makes 6-8. Core the center of each ring using a 1 tsp measuring spoon (or an apple corer). Brush with apple cider vinegar to prevent browning.
- Sprinkle thyme over the apple slices, then top with Brie slices.
- On a surface dusted with flour, roll out a sheet of the puff pastry until it is 13 to 14-inches long. Cut the puff pastry into ¾” strips. Wrap each ring with the pastry.
- Brush with the egg wash.
- Preheat a baking tray or cast iron for 3-4 minutes before adding apples on the tray.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes or until pastry is browned, crispy and cooked through. Turn the tray every 5-6 minutes throughout the cook (rotate each pie halfway through cooking for even browning).
- Finish with a sprinkling of salt and drizzle with hot honey.
- *These can be baked in an indoor oven at 350°F for 20-25 minutes. Turn once during the cook.
- Not a savoury fan? Replace the thyme, brie, and salt with cinnamon, honey and a scoop of ice cream!