Smoked Apple & Sage Sausage Tostadas with Apple Salsa & Chipotle-Lime Crema
Mexican inspired flavours with a twist! These Field Roast Smoked Apple & Sage Plant-Based Sausages are loaded with flavours that you may not associate with Mexican cuisine. But when paired with a fresh apple salsa, a tangy chipotle-lime crema and spicy guacamole, look out traditional flavour expectations… be prepared to dazzle your taste buds!
- 1 x 12.95 oz package Field Roast Smoked Apple & Sage Plant-Based Sausages (4 sausages)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 Crispy Tostadas (store bought – approximately 4 ½“ diameter)
- 1 ½ – 2 cups Guacamole (homemade or store bought)
- 1 ½ cups shredded purple cabbage (about ¼ of a cabbage)
- 1 ½ cups shredded iceberg lettuce (about ¼ of a lettuce)
- ¾ cup red onion finely sliced (about half a large red onion)
- Apple Salsa (recipe below)
- Chipotle-Lime Crema (recipe below)
- ¼ cup small fresh cilantro leaves (or chopped)
- 1 Honeycrisp apple, cored and very small diced
- ¼ cup red bell pepper, seeded and very small diced (about ½ a red pepper)
- ½ a large jalapeño, seeded and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar (or substitute lime juice)
- 1 celery stock, very small diced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Chipotle Peppers (in Adobo Sauce)
- 1 cup Plain Dairy-Free Yogurt (or Dairy-Free Greek Yogurt)
- 3 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
Begin by making the Chipotle-Lime Crema. In a mini food processor (or blender), add the Chipotle peppers, yogurt, lime juice, salt and blend until the chipotle pepper is pureed and incorporated well with the yogurt. Taste, then adjust the lime juice or salt as needed.
Pour into a bowl for serving and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (keep refrigerated until ready to serve).
Next make the Apple Salsa. In a bowl, mix the apple, red pepper, jalapeño, balsamic, sugar, salt & pepper, then toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning if required. Use immediately or cover tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 hours.
Preheat the grill (or grill pan on medium heat).
Remove the casings from the Field Roast Smoked Apple & Sage Plant-Based Sausages. Toss the sausages in the olive oil (or brush on each sausage).
Cook the sausages for 8-10 minutes, turning occasionally, until evenly browned on all sides.
Remove the sausages to a cutting board and slice each sausage into 9 or 10 pieces, diagonally.
To build the tostada, spread 2 tablespoons of guacamole on each tostada, then add a sprinkle each of cabbage, lettuce, and red onions, then layer 3 pieces of the Field Roast Sausage, the Apple Salsa, a drizzle of the Chipotle-Lime Crema and finish with Cilantro.
- Prep: 25 min
- Cook: 10 min
- Total: 35 minutes
- Serves 4
Hope you enjoy my Smoked Apple & Sage Sausage Tostadas with Apple Salsa & Chipotle-Lime Crema recipe! We would love to hear from you, please leave us your feedback in the comment box below.
Have a delicious day! James (aka Zimmy) & Elaine