Grilled flank steak with chimichurri, grilled local corn, peppers & onions, roasted potato wedges, purple slaw, marinated onions, grilled toast, and Stilton cheese.
I am happy to have the opportunity to partner with Canada Beef and create a delicious grilled meal, including this tender, flavourful and satisfying flank steak.
As you know, Elaine and I believe, a healthy diet is one that contains mostly whole, fresh foods: lots of fruits and vegetables, high fibre grains and lean proteins – including red meat.
Beef is rich in nutrients and protein, yet low in calories, but above all we just love the taste of it!
So, get out there and grill this crowd-pleasing flank steak! Then post a mouth-watering image of it on Instagram and tag #MyCanadianBeef ! (and @zimmysnook)
Summer isn’t over, until I stop wearing sandals, so grill on my friends!
Flank Steak Serving Notes:
I like to serve my Canada Beef Flank Steak ‘family style’, so everyone can take as much or as little as they would like! Start by placing the sliced steak in the center of a larger platter or sheet pan, then add a bowl of the chimichurri, the corn, and skewers. I love onions with steak, so I have included a bowl of marinated onions (recipe link). Then round out the platter with your favourite potatoes (roasted, boiled, mashed or fries), an aioli for the potatoes, fresh tomatoes, hot peppers (optional), a simple coleslaw, and Maldon salt (so good sprinkled on Beef!)
Grilled Flank Steak with Chimichurri: FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
How do you grill your corn on the cobb and pepper & onion skewers?
- I use three peppers, one green, one red and one yellow. After washing and seeding, I cut each pepper into 12 equal pieces. I also cut one small onion into 16 pieces, the same size as the peppers.
- I use four small 8″ skewers, (if using wood presoak for at least one hour).
- Thread 3 green peppers onto a skewer, followed by 2 onions, 3 red peppers, 2 onions, and 3 yellow peppers. Repeat for the other skewers.
- Place four fresh cobs of corn (husked, rinsed and dried) & the pepper/onion skewers on a platter or sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt & pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high.
- Grill the corn, turning the ears often so they cook evenly, until lightly charred, about 10-12 minutes.
- Place the skewers on the grill turning every 2 minutes until done lightly charred and softened, about 8-10 minutes
Disclosure: I have participated in a paid partnership with Canada Beef to create this Canada Beef Flank Steak recipe. Opinions in this post are my own.
Grilled Flank Steak with Chimichurri
Grilled Flank Steak
- 2 – 2½ lbs Canadian Beef Flank Steak
- 1 tsp horseradish
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp sweet & smoky mustard
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- ⅔ cup olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 jalapeño finely chopped (seeds optional)
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ cup finely chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- In a blender, combine the horseradish, garlic, mustard, honey, rosemary, oregano, vinegar, and puree until the garlic is minced. Add the oil and blend until creamy.
- Crosshatch the top of the steak to help with the absorption of the marinade and develop better char when grilling. Run your knife diagonally across the surface of the steak, in a diamond pattern. Make the slices about ¼ inch deep, and space them roughly ¾ inch apart.
- Add the meat to a resealable bag and pour in all the marinade; turn the meat to coat. Seal the bag and refrigerate for 4 to 24 hours.
- Combine shallot, chile, garlic, vinegar, and salt in a medium bowl. Let sit 10 minutes.
- Then stir in cilantro, parsley, and olive oil.
Grill the Steak
- Remove the steak from the fridge at least 30 minutes prior to grilling. Preheat the grill on high. (If your grates have just been cleaned or have a habit of sticking, oiling the grates is a good idea, as the honey may stick). Remove the steak from the marinade, let the excess marinade drip off.
- Season the steak with kosher salt & freshly ground
- Grill the steak over medium-high heat, turning once, then flipping, then turning again, until charred and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 125-130° F, total cooking time 8-12 minutes.
- Transfer the steak to a carving board and let rest for 5-10 minutes. Thinly slice the meat against the grain and serve.
HOPE YOU ENJOY THIS RECIPE. WE WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!
Please leave us your feedback in the comment box below.
If you love cooking with Canadian beef, check out some of our other favourite beef recipes.
- Individual Ground Beef Wellingtons
- Canada Beef Wellington with Madeira Sauce.
- Korean-Style Barbecue Beef Short Rib Lettuce Wraps
- Pressure Cooker Veal Shanks with Mushrooms & Gravy
Have a delicious day! James (aka Zimmy) & Elaine
Looks good would like to try this
Thanks, I hope you do try it!
Have a great day!
James & Elaine