Winter Cobb Salad
I can never decide if a Cobb salad is, a meal that eats like a salad or a salad that eats like a meal? But whichever it is, it is always delicious!
This winter version made with local eggs, squash, beets, apples, greenhouse tomatoes, chicken, and bacon, then finished a maple-Dijon dressing is the ideal comfort meal to warm the soul, fill the tummy and brighten a chilly winter day.
In less than a hour you can create this protein packed & comforting winter meal!
It was a pleasure to create this recipe in partnership with Egg Farmers of Canada. Opinions in this post are always my own.
Love this Winter Cobb Salad Recipe?
Click here for more recipes showcasing delicious eggs!
TRIED THIS RECIPE?
If you get the chance to try this recipe, please drop back and leave us a comment and rating. We would love to know what you think.
Cheers! James & Elaine
Winter Cobb Salad
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ small red onion thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil enough to cover onions
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 slices of bacon
- 2 chicken thighs bone-in, skin-on, 5.5 – 6 oz per thigh, uncooked
- 9 ounces butternut squash cut into ½-inch cubes (about 2 cups)
- 2 large eggs
- 4 cups kale washed, stems removed, chopped
- 1 roasted beet cut into small cubes (purchased already roasted or roast at home)
- ½ apple sliced (honey crisp or your favourite apple)
- 2 small tomatoes sliced (different coloured heirlooms, or tomatoes on the vine)
- ½ avocado sliced (optional)
- 2 ounces stilton cheese or other blue cheese
- 1 tablespoon chives chopped
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate arils optional
- 2 tablespoons roasted pistachios
- In a small mason jar combine maple syrup, olive oil, mustard, vinegar, and salt. Shake well to combine. Set aside.
- Marinated onions – In a very small bowl or ramekin, combine the onions, olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Let sit on the counter for 1 – 24 hours. This will soften the taste of the onions. (When done the leftover olive oil is flavoured and perfect for frying tomorrow mornings eggs!)
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place an 11-inch (oven safe) skillet over medium heat and cook the bacon to your desired doneness.
- Remove the bacon to a plate and set aside.
- Place the chicken, skin side down into the bacon fat in the hot skillet, then cook for 5-6 minutes over medium heat.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and add the squash. Toss the squash cubes in the chicken and bacon fat renderings. Flip the chicken over and spread the squash out in one layer (if your skillet is not oven proof, transfer the chicken, squash, and any liquid to a baking sheet). Place the chicken & squash into the oven and bake for 25 minutes, gently flipping the squash occasionally. Cook until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, and the squash is tender and lightly caramelized. Remove from the oven cover until ready to serve.
- While the chicken cooks, bring a small pot of water to a light rolling boil. Using a slotted spoon, gently lower the eggs into the water and cook for 8 minutes. Remove the eggs to a bowl of ice water to cool. Once the eggs have cooled enough to manage, peel the eggs, and cut them into halves or quarters.
- Pile the kale onto a shallow serving platter (or two plates). Arrange piles of the eggs, squash, bacon, avocado, apple, beets, tomatoes, and cheese. Remove the bone from the chicken thigh by pulling it out from the underside, then slice the chicken into 3 or 4 slices or leave whole thighs, bone-in.
- Serve with chives, pomegranate arils, pistachios.
- Drizzle dressing over the salad and enjoy!
We love Cobb salad and this is incredible ?
Thanks so much!
Have a terrific day friends!
Elaine & James
Delicious, healthy recipe. Great combination of flavors, textures and temperatures. I will definitely make this one again. Well done James and Elaine.
Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We are so glad you enjoyed this recipe!
We loved seeing your recreation on IG, it was gorgeous!
Have a wonderful night!
Elaine & James