Strawberry, Asparagus and Rhubarb Salad.
Celebrate National Fresh Fruit and Vegetables month this June with these colourful and tasty foods.
This fresh spring salad is a delicious combination of ingredients found at local farmers markets in early June, including asparagus, rhubarb and strawberries. The dressing pops with a burst of orange zest, making it a perfect salad for al fresco lunches or paired with your favourite grilled protein for a satisfying dinner.
Strawberry, Asparagus and Rhubarb Salad
For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅓ cup olive oil
For the salad:
- 2 rhubarb stalks washed well, ends trimmed and cut into 1 to 1.5-inch pieces (approximately 8-ounces)
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1½ inch piece of ginger
- 8 asparagus spears ends trimmed (approximately 6-ounces)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 4-5 ounces of mixed greens washed and dried
- 6-8 kale leaves washed, dried, spines removed, cut into bite size pieces
- 12-16 small strawberries washed and halved
- 3 ounces feta cheese cubed or crumbled.
- 4 tablespoons pine nuts toasted
- ½ cup microgreens optional
Prepare the dressing:
- Add the vinegar, mustard, orange zest, honey, and salt, to a small jar with a tight-fitting lid. Shake well to combine. Add the olive oil and shake vigorously. Set aside until ready to serve.
Prepare the rhubarb:
- In a 2-Quart saucier (or saucepan), add the orange juice, brown sugar and ginger and heat over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. Add the rhubarb, stir to coat, cover, reduce the heat to low and cook for 5-6 minutes until the rhubarb is just tender (not mushy). Remove the rhubarb to a plate and refrigerate until ready to assemble the salad. Discard the stewing liquid.
Prepare the asparagus:
- Cut the entire tip off each asparagus spear, then cut the stems into 1.5-inch pieces. Heat the olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the asparagus pieces to the pan and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper (to taste). Cover the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove lid, toss the asparagus, and cook over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes, tossing the asparagus 2 or 3 times. When the asparagus has just reached a crisp-tender stage, remove the asparagus to a small bowl add 2 teaspoons of the dressing, toss to coat. Refrigerate the asparagus until ready to assemble the salad.
Assemble the salad:
- Toss the kale with 1 tablespoon of dressing. Cover a large platter with the mixed greens and nestle the kale throughout the greens. Spread the rhubarb, asparagus, strawberries around the platter. Sprinkle with pine nuts and feta cheese. Garnish with microgreens.
- Serve and enjoy.
Hope you enjoy this Strawberry, Asparagus and Rhubarb Salad recipe!
We would love to here from you, please leave us your feedback in the comment box below.
Have a delicious day! James (aka Zimmy) & Elaine
Cooked in the Thomas Keller Insignia 2-Quart Saucier and Thomas Keller Insignia TITUM™ 11″ Nonstick Sauté Pans on the Hestan Dual Fuel Range
Proud Hestan Culinary and Hestan Ambassador. Opinions in this post are my own.
Leave a Reply