Mussels & shrimp in a spicy tomato sauce. Onions, roasted garlic, white wine, chicken stock, Peperoncini Piccanti, spicy sausage, tomatoes, finished with green onions, lemons & parsley.
Been too long since we’ve had mussels… we’ll be having them again soon!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, Diced
- Hot Portuguese Chouriço (approximately 6”), diced
- 4 roasted garlic cloves, minced (or 2 raw)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken (or vegetable) stock
- 1 tablespoon Peperoncini Piccanti (chopped hot peppers in oil)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 – 28oz can Italian tomato purée
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Kosher salt to taste
- 2 pounds live mussels, cleaned and beards removed
- 1 pound large wild shrimp, shell on
- Lemon wedges
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped Italian parsley
- Crusty bread
In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
Add the onion & sausage and cook over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add the wine and cook for 1 minute, scrapping the pan clean. Add the stock, Peperoncini Piccanti, tomato paste, tomato purée and pepper and bring just to a boil.
Cover partially and simmer over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, 15-30 minutes.
Season the sauce with salt, pepper or Peperoncini Piccanti to taste.
Stir in the mussels and shrimp, raise heat to medium, cover and cook until the mussels open, 4 to 6 minutes; discard any mussels that do not open.
Sprinkle with onions & parsley and serve with lemon wedges and crusty bread.
In addition to this Mussels & Shrimp in a Spicy Tomato Sauce recipe, you can find more of my favourite seafood recipes here.
Cooked and served in my Hestan Culinary CopperBond 3.5 qt. Sauteuse