Mexican Inspired Corn Chowder
It’s like taco night in a bowl! This flavourful, filling and straightforward recipe is sure to be a winner with the entire family!
A base of olive oil, onion, bell peppers, garlic, corn, diced tomatoes, jalapeños, chicken broth, chili powder, smoked paprika, S&P, black beans, grilled chicken thighs, topped with shredded cheddar, cilantro, & avocado.
Mexican Inspired Corn Chowder
- 6 boneless/skinless chicken thighs (approx. 18 oz/510 g)
- chicken seasoning – mix together 1 teaspoon each: chili powder, paprika, granulated onion, granulated garlic, salt, pepper
- 5 tablespoons olive oil (75 mil)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (1½ cups)
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped (1½ cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk (710 ml)
- 3 cups chicken broth, no salt added (710 ml)
- 1 can diced tomatoes 13½ oz/398 ml)
- 3 cobs of corn, cooked, kernels removed (approx. 3 cups) Note: if it’s not fresh corn season, substitute 3 cups off frozen corn.
- 3 jalapeños, seeded and membranes removed, finely diced
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons ancho chili powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed (13½ oz/398 ml)
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado, diced
- Shredded cheese
- chopped cilantro
- sliced jalapeños
- lime wedges
- hot sauce
- tortilla chips
- Season the chicken with the seasoning mix and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onions, bell pepper and sauté until softened, about 8 minutes. Add garlic, sauté 1 minute longer. Add in flour, sauté 1 minute more.
- While whisking pour in milk and chicken broth. Stir in tomatoes, corn, jalapeños, cumin, chili powder and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring mixture to a light boil stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- While the soup simmers, preheat the grill (or griddle pan) on medium high heat.
- Place the chicken thighs on the grill (pan) and cook for 4 minutes. Flip and cook for 4 minutes more. Remove the chicken to a plate cover tightly with foil and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Next, cut chicken into bite sized cubes.
- Once the soup has simmered, stir in black beans and warm through. Stir in chicken and resting juices and cook for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat, then stir in the cheese and cilantro.
- Serve warm with avocado, more cheese, cilantro, jalapeño slices, lime wedges, hot sauce and tortilla chips.
Hope you enjoy this recipe! We would love to hear from you, please leave us your feedback in the comment box below.
Have a delicious day! James (aka Zimmy) & Elaine
Proud Hestan and Hestan Culinary Ambassador. Opinions in this post are my own.
This corn chowder was made and served in my stunning Hestan CopperBond Induction Copper 4-Quart Saucepan and cooked on our equally gorgeous Hestan Dual Fuel Range in Pacific Blue.
This is great recipe and not difficult to prepare or cook. Tastes so great off the stove, so you know it’s going to be killer tomorrow.
Thanks so much! Yes, this chowder is excellent the next day!
Thanks for stopping by our website!
Have a great night!
Elaine & James