Grilled chicken tortillas with spicy guacamole are a great lunch, dinner for summer entertaining or feeding the hungry family! Fresh, light, delicious and above all open to any combination of fixings you care to add the platter.
Suggested tortilla fixings:
- Sour cream, chopped peppers, cherry tomatoes (halved), cucumber slices, chilies, chopped lettuce & purple cabbage, cilantro, hot sauce (not shown), tortilla chips and grilled corn
Would you add anything different? If so, let me know in the comments below.
Tried this recipe?
If you get the chance to try this recipe, please drop back and leave us a comment and rating. We would love to know what you think.
Cheers! James & Elaine
Grilled Chicken Tortillas with Spicy Guacamole
- 12 Wooden Skewers 8"
- 2 lbs chicken thighs boneless/skinless, cut into 1-inch cubes
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ cup cilantro minced
- Zest & juice of one lime
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 avocados ripe
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 tablespoons chopped sweet onion
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 jalapeño roasted, grilled or charred – skin removed, diced
- 2 cloves of roasted garlic
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves chopped
- Add all ingredients (except skewers) to a resealable bag, seal and shake well to combine.
- Refrigerate chicken in the marinade for at least 2 hours.
- If using wooden skewers soak in water for 60 minutes.
- Preheat the grill to medium heat.
- Char the jalapeños directly on a grill, gas stove burner or on a hot griddle pan. Remove jalapeños, place in a small bowl and cover with plastic wrap or a plate. Let steam for about 5minutes. Using a paper towel wipe off charred skin, slice in half, remove seeds and finely dice.
- Place all ingredients into a molcajete (or bowl & fork) and mix to desired consistency
- Alternatively, toss all the pre-chopped ingredients (except the avocados and cilantro) into a mini food processor and blitz. Then add the avocado & cilantro and process to desired consistency.
Grill the Chicken
- Place chicken pieces on skewers (3-4 pieces/skewers).
- Place skewers on grill. Cook 3-5 minutes/side until chicken is slightly charred and cooked through.
- Remove to platter and serve with grilled tortillas, guacamole and all your fixings.
- Suggested fixings: sour cream, chopped peppers, cherry tomatoes (halved), cucumber slices, chilies, chopped lettuce & purple cabbage, cilantro and tortilla chips… grilled corn optional but suggested!