Charred Green Onion-Jalapeno-Lemon Lamb Chops.
A frenched rack of lamb, well seasoned or marinated, then seared over a hot grill until barely medium-rare, is one of my favourite treats. The charred bits of fat, the melt-in-your-mouth morsels of meat, combined beautifully on a bone, is my perfect lollipop!
Now, when I cook a full rack, it is perfectly cooked for me, but to be honest, often a little under done for Elaine and some of our guests. So, I leave the grill on and quickly sear the individual chops to ensure everyone gets their own version of the perfect lollipop.
Another preparation I enjoy is to marinate the individual chops and sear them hot and fast. With this approach it is all about the char and the marinade.
That is why I love this charred green onion-jalapeno-lemon marinade. It reinforces the charred flavour during the cooking process and doubles beautifully as a dipping sauce, adding a pop of freshness.
Watch the process here – https://youtube.com/shorts/O_fiHugNRo8?feature=share
Side Suggestions for the Lamb Chops
Grilled carrots and asparagus, spicy fingerlings, charred lemons and finishing salt.
Charred Green Onion-Jalapeno-Lemon Lamb Chops
- 2 racks of lamb cut into 16 individual chops
- 7 green onions
- 1 jalapeño
- 1 lemon halved
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 lemons halved and grilled for 2-3 minutes while the lamb cooks
- Finishing salt optional
- Preheat grill on high.
- Place jalapeño on the grill and cooked until all sides are well charred (4 to 5 minutes). Place onions, and lemons (flesh side down) onto grill and cook until lightly charred (2 to 3 minutes).
- When the jalapeño has cooled enough to manage, scrape off the charred skin, coarsely chop and place into a food processor or blender. Coarsely chop the whites and light green portion of the green onions and add to the food processor (discard the dark green pieces). Squeeze the juice from the lemon into the food processor (catching the seeds in a strainer or your hand, then discard he seeds and lemon pieces).
- Puree the jalapeño, green onions, and lemon juice for 2 minutes until mostly smooth. Add the cilantro, vinegar, honey, and olive oil, then blend for a minute or two to combine. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Reserve half of the marinade for serving.
- Pour the other half of the marinade over the lamb, toss to coat well. Cover and marinate for 1 to 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- Remove the lamb from the fridge 15 minutes before you are ready to cook. Preheat the grill on medium high. Grill chops for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until nicely charred and cooked to medium-rare.
- Remove to serving platter and serve with reserve marinade.
Hope you enjoy this recipe. We would love to hear from you!
Please leave us your feedback in the comment box below.
You may also like –
Have a delicious day! James (aka Zimmy) & Elaine