Air Fryer Chicken with Buttermilk Waffles.
Preparing this classic brunch combination in your own kitchen is easier than you may think. All it takes is a little planning, an air fryer, and a waffle maker, to turn your table into the hottest brunch spot in your neighbourhood. Serve with honey, hot sauce and a side of slaw for the ultimate brunch plate!
Crispy on the outside, moist tender and juicy on the inside… what more do I have to say?
Oh, it is also a healthier option than the deep-fried version!
Buttermilk Waffles – recipe here
Fresh homemade waffles are an absolute treat for breakfast, brunch (Air Fryer Chicken with Buttermilk Waffles), or even dessert! Simply served with syrup or loaded with fresh fruit, these waffles are sure to please the young and the young at heart.
Make extra to freeze, then pop a couple in the toaster for a super quick breakfast.
Air Fryer Chicken with Buttermilk Waffles
For the marinade
- 4 chicken thighs
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 3 springs of fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
For the breading
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup corn starch
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Olive oil
- 8 -12 Buttermilk Waffles
- Place the chicken and marinade ingredients in a resealable bag, squeeze out excess air, seal the bag and shake to combine. Marinate for 4 to 24 hours.
- In a shallow bowl or small baking tray, whisk the flour, corn starch, and spices together.
- Remove the chicken pieces directly from the bag and dredge in the flour mixture. Once each piece is completely coated, place on a cooling rack and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the air fryer to 380F.
- Generously spray (or dab with a brush) the chicken all over with oil. It is important to coat all the breading to create a crispy crust.
- Place the 4 chicken thighs in the preheated air fryer, leaving space between the thighs.
- Set the air fryer to 380F for 24 minutes and start. After 12 minutes, flip the chicken and lightly spray the other side with oil. Continue cooking for 10-12 minutes or until the chicken is golden and the internal temperature reaches 165°. Remove the thighs to a cooling rack
- Repeat the process with the chicken drumsticks.
- While the drumsticks rest on the cooling rack, reheat the thighs for 3-4 minutes in the air fryer then serve hot with the waffles.
Hope you enjoy this recipe! We would love to hear from you, please leave us your feedback in the comment box below.
Have a delicious day! James (aka Zimmy)