Red Thai curry peanut sauce and vegetables served over rice or noodles.
Having prepared jars of curry paste in the cupboard is an effective way to create flavour packed meals in mere minutes. This combination of red curry and peanuts work together to create a thick, creamy, delicious sauce that’s incredible over whatever vegetables you have on hand for a meatless meal or great with the addition of chicken, turkey, pork, shrimp or tofu.
For this recipe I used the vegetables I had on hand… the pepper that was just starting to wrinkle, some bok choy that the tips of the leaves were beginning to yellow, the last lonely carrot in the bag, plus frozen corn & peas that I always have on hand to add to curries, stews, soups, savoury pies, etc. So, before you go shopping check to see what you have on hand and toss it in… cauliflower florets, mushrooms, cabbage, spinach, whatever!
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened natural peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (sriracha, chili sauce, or hotter, based on your enjoyment)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup crushed peanuts
- 1/2 cup vegetable or mushroom broth
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced rings
- Thumb sized piece of ginger, peeled an thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 red chilies, thinly sliced rings
- Small bell pepper, thinly sliced strips (I used yellow)
- 1 medium sized carrot, cut into 2” matchsticks (or thin circles)
- 2 celery stalks, sliced on the diagonal
- Salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 6 baby bok choy, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 cup of sugar snap peas
- Four prepared servings of your favourite rice or noodles
- Extra crushed peanuts, chopped chives, cilantro and lime wedges for finishing
Pour the coconut milk into a small 1.5 Qt saucepan over medium heat and bring to a gentle bubbling. Add the peanut butter, curry paste, hot sauce, fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, and garlic. Whisk and keep on medium simmer (gentle bubbling) heat for 10-15 minutes or until the sauce has slightly thickened.
Add the peanuts and simmer for another 5 minutes. Add small amounts of broth at a time and whisk to combine. Simmer for 3-5 more minutes
While the sauce simmers heat a 3.5 Qt covered pan over medium heat. Add the canola & sesame oil, then add the shallot and cook for 2 minutes. Add the ginger, garlic and chilies, cook for 2 minutes more. Add the bell pepper, carrots and celery, season with salt & pepper, cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring regularly. Add the corn, peas, bok choy & snap peas, toss to combine, cover with lid, and cook until the bok choy is just tender (but still slightly firm), 3-5 minutes, stirring once or twice.
Combine cooked vegetables, rice or noodles, and pour over sauce.
Stir to combine. Finish with crushed peanuts, chives, cilantro and squeeze of lime.
Hope you enjoy this Red Thai Curry Peanut Sauce and Vegetables recipe! We would love to hear from you, please leave us your feedback in the comment box below.
Have a delicious day! James (aka Zimmy)