No Bake Shakshuka (or Shakshouka), is one of our favourite comfort meals. Although we enjoy it year-round it is more commonly found on our table in the winter.
This is not a “traditional” Shakshuka but is certainly inspired by it. I appreciate that a basic recipe can be adapted to use whatever you have in the fridge/pantry to make it new and exciting.
It starts with some veggies, spices, and a tomato base, then finishes with eggs cooked right in the flavourful sauce. Scoop out a portion of sauce, with an egg, then serve with hot sauce and garlic toast for dipping! So good!
It was a pleasure to create this No Bake Shakshuka recipe in partnership with Egg Farmers of Canada. Opinions in this post are always my own.
TRIED THIS RECIPE?
If you get the chance to try this recipe, please drop back and leave us a comment and rating. We would love to know what you think.
Cheers! James & Elaine
No Bake Shakshuka
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 yellow pepper diced
- 1 jalapeño diced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes (400 mL)
- ½ cup chickpeas drained & rinsed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup feta cheese crumbled
- 4 large eggs
- Fresh basil for serving
- Heat oil in an 11-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, yellow pepper, and jalapeño, stirring occasionally for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the thyme, oregano, garlic, and tomato paste and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes and bring to a low boil, reduce heat to medium-low add the chickpeas and simmer, stirring occasionally for 5-10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper then stir in feta.
- Using the bottom of a ladle, make four indentations into the sauce for the eggs. Crack eggs one at a time and place into the individual indentations.
- Cook until egg whites have set, but the yolks are still runny, approximately 6-8 minutes. If the top of the eggs is not setting up as desired, cover with a lid for 1-2 minutes. Do not leave the lid on too long or you will lose the yellow in the yolk.
- Garnish with fresh basil and enjoy!
Leave a Reply