Madeira Mulled Wine.
Woke up to a beautiful covering of snow this morning! Even though most of it had melted by the afternoon, it put us in a festive mood. So, after all the ‘work’ was done I put on a pot of Madeira Mulled Wine.
- 1 1/2 bottles of red wine (I used a Cab/Shiraz blend * chef’s tip – drink the other half while you wait for the house to smell amazing! )
- 1 1/2 cups Madeira wine
- 1 cup apple juice (I used pure pressed)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (Canadian Amber of course)
- 1 orange, sliced with the skin on
- 4 cinnamon sticks, plus extra for garnish
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 6 whole star anise
- Garnishes: orange slices, cinnamon sticks, star anise, cranberries, rosemary sprigs
Add all the ingredients to a large pot over medium-high heat. When steam begins to rise from the pot, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 – 45 minutes for the spices to infuse the wine.
Strain the mulled wine into mugs or thick-walled wine glasses and top with any or all of the garnishes.
Served with quality cheeses and a couple of our favourite charcuterie items.
Hope you enjoy this Madeira Mulled Wine recipe! I would love to hear your feedback in the “comments” below!
Have a delicious day! James (aka Zimmy)