Crisp Spring Salad with Grilled Wild Shrimp & Olives
Succulent Marina Del Rey shrimp, marinated in a lemon-mustard-dill dressing, then seared on the grill with olives!
This fresh, crisp, creamy salad is delicious year round but extra special when you can use fresh local asparagus. Perfect for a light lunch or add a few more shrimp for a heartier dinner. Also incredible paired with grilled meat (perhaps flank steak) for a delicious take on “surf & turf”
- 12-16 Marina Del Rey Wild Argentinian Shrimp (20-30 size), thawed, shells removed (tails left on if you prefer the look for presentation) Freeze the shells to make shrimp stock at a later date.
- ¾ cup Lemon-Mustard-Dill dressing (recipe below), divided
- 12-16 stuffed green olives (same number as shrimp)
- 1 cup hummus use your favourite store bought
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped dill
- 3 Persian cucumbers, using a mandolin sliced lengthwise into thin ribbons
- 30 asparagus tips, 3” long (reserve the stalks for a frittata, omelette or make soup) Alternatively use 10 full stalks cut into 3 pieces per stalk, 30 total pieces
- 4 large radishes, using a mandoline sliced thinly
- 4-5 oz snap peas, stem end & strings removed (optional – open about half the pods)
- 6 Green onions, white & light green portion, thinly sliced on a diagonal
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 20 individual dill leaves, removed from the branch
- Optional 2-3 oz crumbled feta
- 8 x 4-5” (or 4 x 8-10”) skewers (if wood, soak for at least 30 minutes)
Lemon Mustard Dill Dressing
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil or use a neutral-tasting oil if you prefer
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice from about 2 medium lemons
- 1 ½ tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ½ tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
Mix everything in a jar with a tight fitting lid and shake well to combine
Begin by thawing the shrimp, removing the shells and pat dry with paper towels.
Make the dressing, then combine ⅓ cup of dressing with the shrimp in a resealable bag or bowl and toss to combine. Marinate for 10-12 minutes. Reserve the rest of the dressing for serving.
Mix together the hummus, yogurt and chopped dill in a bowl until combined then spread the mixture evenly over a 12-13” round serving platter (leaving about an inch border).
Layer the cucumber, asparagus, radishes and snap peas directly on the hummus mixture, then sprinkle the green onions, capers and dill leaves over everything. Put the salad in a cool space until ready to serve.
Skewer one side of the shrimp, then add the olive (stuffed side up), then finish skewering the other side of the shrimp (shrimp will be wrapped around the olive). Continue until all shrimps and olives are skewered.
Preheat the grill (or grill pan) to medium-high heat.
Grill the shrimp for 2-3 minute per side until cooked through.
Place the skewers on the salad and drizzle 2 tablespoons of dressing over everything.
Serve with remaining dressing to add as desired to individual taste.
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook time: 5 minutes
- Total time: 40 minutes
- Servings: 4
Disclosure: I have participated in a paid partnership with Marina Del Rey. Opinions in this post are my own.
Hope you enjoy my Crisp Spring Salad with Grilled Wild Shrimp & Olives recipe! We would love to hear from you, please leave us your feedback in the comment box below.
Have a delicious day! James (aka Zimmy) & Elaine
Leave a Reply