‘Tis the Season for holiday entertaining!
Baked Wild Caught Argentinian Shrimp Tortilla Bites, are easy to eat while mingling, taste great hot out of the oven or a short time later at room temperature, and only take a few minutes to assemble once they come out of the oven.
I love the texture and flavour of these wild caught shrimp as well as the many health benefits.
They are naturally rich in protein, an excellent source of amino acids, contain omega-3 fatty acids, reduced sodium levels, low in calories, antibiotic-free, hormone-free, no added colours, but most importantly they taste great!!!
- 1 bag of Raw, Wild Caught Argentinian Shrimp – 16/20 per lb (no tails)
- 1 ½ tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil (plus more for brushing)
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- ½ cups of corn tortilla crumbs (see note *)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 fresh long red hot chili (seeds removed), minced
- 1 tablespoon citrus zest (orange, lime or lemon)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Small soft tortillas – 3” rounds (if you can’t find small tortillas, use a 3” cookie cutter to cut them out of larger tortillas)
- Avocado Crema (see note **)
- Fresh cilantro leaves – 1/3 cup
- Pomegranate arils – 1/3 cup
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Butterfly the shrimp, by making a slit along the back side, taking care not to slice all the way through the body.
Line a baking pan with aluminum foil, spray with nonstick spray and arrange the shrimp in a single layer. Lightly brush the shrimp with olive oil.
Melt the butter over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, soft and just beginning to turn golden, 1-2 minutes – do not brown. Allow to cool – about 5 minutes.
Add the corn tortilla crumbs, long red chili, citrus zest, salt and black pepper to the garlic and butter mixture and combine thoroughly.
Spoon even portions of the breadcrumb mixture over each of the butterflied shrimp.
Using your fingers, gently mold each portion of stuffing around the shrimp.
Note: This recipe can be made ahead to this point and refrigerated until ready to bake.
Bake the shrimp for 8-9 minutes, until just turning opaque. While the shrimp bake – warm the tortillas, place on serving trays, then pipe or spoon on, avocado crema.
Remove the shrimp from the oven, place on tortillas add cilantro and a sprinkle of pomegranate arils. Serve immediately hot (but still delicious at room temperature).
* Corn Tortilla Crumbs
Lightly oil 8 corn tortillas, place on a sheet pan and place in a 375°F oven for 10 minutes until crisp. Let cool, then pulse in a food processor until a panko breadcrumb consistency.
** Avocado Crema
- 2 ripe avocados
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons half & half
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1 medium clove garlic minced
- ½ cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
Combine all ingredients into a food processor or Vitamix. Process until smooth.
Place in an airtight container store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Serve in a bowl with a spoon or fill a sandwich bag and cut off a corner to use as a piping bag.
Serve extra crema with cut up vegetable & tortilla chips or save for another day.
In addition to this Baked Shrimp Tortilla Bites recipe, you can find more of my favourite seafood recipes here.