Moms are special 365 days of the year, but MOTHER’S DAY is the one day that you need to do something extra special for them!
Treat Mom to a delicious, fresh Mother’s Day meal – Chimichurri Grilled Shrimp with Corn Salsa, Lettuce Wraps! Score some bonus points with a bouquet of flowers and a bottle of rosé (that’s how I remain my mom’s favourite! ?)
- 24 large Marina Del Rey Wild Caught Argentinian Shrimp (20/30 per lb), thawed, peeled & patted dry
- Metal or wood skewers (soak wood skewers as per package directions)
- 1 shallot, roughly chopped
- 1 long red chili or red jalapeño, roughly chopped
- 3–4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup finely chopped cilantro
- ½ cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped oregano
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
Combine shallot, chili, garlic and salt into a mini food processor and chop until fine. Add vinegar and let sit 10 minutes. In a bowl, mix cilantro, parsley, and oregano with contents of food processor, stir to combine. Using a fork, whisk in oil. Reserve ½ the chimichurri in a small bowl/jug to be used as sauce. Place shrimp in a resealable bag and toss with remaining chimichurri. Chill for 20-30 minutes. Remove shrimp from marinade and thread onto skewers, (beginning with tail, then head, creating a shrimp semi-circle… don’t overcrowd).
When ready to serve, grill skewers on a medium-hot grill, 2-2½ minutes/side flipping just once.
Grilled Corn Salsa
(make ahead and chill until 20 minutes prior to serving)
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 ears of corn, husks and silks removed
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, stemmed and quartered
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeds removed and diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- For dressing:
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
In a bowl, whisk together the lime juice, chili powder, salt, pepper, butter and olive oil, set aside to baste corn.
Preheat medium-hot grill. Brush a little of the basting mix on each ear of corn. Grill the corn, turning the ears often so they cook evenly, until lightly charred, about 10 minutes, baste each ear 2- 3 times as turning.
Steady each ear of corn on a cutting board and, using a sharp knife, cut down along the cob to strip off the kernels. Put the kernels in a large bowl. Add the tomatoes, onion, jalapeño, cilantro, olive oil and white balsamic vinegar, toss to coat evenly.
- 12-24 lettuce leaves (Boston, Bib or Romaine Hearts)
- Reserved chimichurri
- Grilled shrimp
- Corn salsa
- Quinoa – ½ cup uncooked (cooked per directions)
Plus, a selection of your favourite vegetables:
- Diced peppers
- Sliced jalapeños/chilies
- Red cabbage – thinly sliced
- Avocado – chunks or slices
Lightly fill a lettuce leaf with an assortment of vegetables, corn salsa, quinoa and 1-2 shrimp, then drizzle with chimichurri and enjoy!
Prep Time: 25 minutes, Cook Time: 20 minutes, Inactive Time 30 minutes, Serves: 4