Wood-Fired Sweet Potato Casserole
Take the classic flavours of a Sweet Potato Casserole to new heights, by cooking with the smoky flavours of lump charcoal and wood! The caramelization of the roasted sweet potatoes in the Ooni Karu 16 oven is life changing! The perfect browning of the marshmallows, as the flames gently roll across the top of the oven is mesmerizing!
Finishing with pecan wood creates a intoxicating aroma! This “side dish” was so good that my wife enjoyed leftovers with her morning coffee!
Wood-fired Sweet Potato Casserole
- 4 pounds medium sized sweet potatoes (approx. 6), washed and dried 1.9 kg
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar 45g
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage finely chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- salt to taste
- ½ cup half and half optional
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows 110g
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans 35g
Roasting the Potatoes
- Preheat the Ooni Karu 16 oven to 400°F (I use a combination of lump charcoal & hardwood to maintain the heat and add layers of flavour).
- When the oven has reached 375°F, place the Ooni Dual-Sided Grizzler Plate in the oven, ridge side up, to preheat. Pierce potatoes several times.
- Once the oven has reached 400°F, place the sweet potatoes on the grizzler plate and bake for 1-1¼ hours or until soft. Rotate the potatoes and change positions every 10 minutes to ensure even cooking. The rear of the oven and sides are slightly hotter, so moving positions will ensure consistent cooking.
- As you add fuel, if the flames are too large and are rolling towards the rear potatoes, causing them to burn, open the fuel hatch and allow the flames to burn down, then replace the hatch.
- Once the potatoes are done, remove from oven. Set aside until cool enough to handle, then peel off the skin. (Alternatively, cut open and scoop out the pulp). Mash to desired consistency.
Assembling and Baking the Casserole
- Add all the ingredients EXCEPT for the toppings (half & half is completely optional).
- Mix well, then spoon into an oiled Ooni Cast Iron Skillet (9”).
- Bake at 375°F for 25 minutes, until heated through.
- Top with marshmallows and pecans and bake 5 minutes or until marshmallow are lightly toasted.
- Note: for the baking process and browning of the marshmallows, I used a couple of chunks of pecan wood to add additional flavour.
- To make ahead, assemble the casserole, do not bake, or put on the toppings. Cover tightly and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Remove from the refrigerator while preheating the oven and bake as per directions.
Hope you enjoy this recipe! We would love to hear from you, please leave us your feedback in the comment box below.
Have a delicious day! James (aka Zimmy)