Cashew Pesto Grilled Chicken.
Spatchcocked, then grilled. Coated with a layer of the pesto about 15 minutes before removing the chicken from the grill. Served with charred broccolini, grilled peppers & onions and fried pierogi with onions.
Cashew Pesto Grilled Chicken
- 1 whole chicken spatchcocked
- Salt and pepper
- 3 medium garlic cloves
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ cups coarsely chopped fresh basil
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup olive oil plus more as needed
- Spatchcock the chicken and season with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Place the chicken on the grill and cook with the lid closed. (If your grill is prone to flair-ups, turn off a burner and create an indirect cooking zone to avoid charring the chicken.)
- Cook for 45-50 minutes (at approximately 425°F)… first 35 minutes with the skin up and then 10-15 minutes skin down. Turn (not flip) the chicken every 10 minutes, so that it cooks evenly.
- While the chicken cooks, make the Cashew Pesto. Add all ingredients except the olive oil to a food processor and chop well. Add the oil and blend to combine. Taste, season with salt or lemon juice if required. Add more olive oil until preferred consistency.
- When the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160°F (about 50 minutes), flip the chicken skin side up and brush liberally with pesto.
- Cook for another 10 minutes. Remove to a cutting board, tent with foil, and let rest 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with more pesto for dipping.
- And while you are out there, grill some veggies, lemons and potatoes or pierogi!
Hope you enjoy this recipe! We would love to hear from you, please leave us your feedback in the commenet box below.
Have a delicious day! James (aka Zimmy) & Elaine