Slow Cooker Poutine With Meatballs.
Canada Day is right around the corner eh, and what better way to celebrate than Poutine! Baked potato wedges, covered with cheese curds, hot gravy and meatballs, then finished with chopped tomatoes, parsley, and parmesan. A Canadian classic made simple using my Crockpot™ Slow Cooker.
I made the gravy in the Crockpot™ Design Series 3-Quart Manual Slow Cooker a day early, left it in the removeable stoneware and put it in the refrigerator until it was time to reheat it. The mini meatballs were also made the day before and reheated in the hot gravy. Everything was kept piping hot and ready to serve when the wedges came out of the oven. Easy peasy!
The 3 temperature settings on the slow cooker is perfect for cooking, reheating, and keeping the gravy warm. Plus, clean-up is a breeze, because the removeable stoneware and glass lid are both dishwasher-safe!
Substitute for Cheese Curds in Poutine:
If you ask someone from Quebec, they would tell you there is no substitute! Me, I would try your favourite melting cheese cut/torn in cubes like Fontina, Gouda, Asiago, Gruyere and/or Mozzarella.
Interested in getting your own Crockpot™ Design Series 3-Quart Manual Slow Cooker so you can try this fun and easy recipe? Check out the link here for a convenient way to purchase your own.
Slow Cooker Poutine With Meatballs
- 1 3-Quart Slow Cooker Crockpot™ Design Series 3-Quart Manual Slow Cooker, Copper
Meatballs (Make Ahead)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon granulated onion
Gravy (Make Ahead)
- 4 cups 750 mL beef broth
- 1 cup concentrated beef broth
- 3 tbsp 15 mL butter
- ½ onion chopped
- ¼ cup 60 mL cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 pounds small Russet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 200 g Cheddar Cheese Curds
- 2 small tomatoes seeds and wet part removed, chopped (1 cup)
- Grated Parmesan
- Chopped parsley
Meatballs (Make Ahead)
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, Panko, Parmesan, egg, oregano, basil, parsley, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and granulated onion. Using a wooden spoon or clean hands, stir until well combined.
- Roll the mixture using a 1 teaspoon measure to form the meatballs, forming about 54 meatballs.
- Drizzle with olive oil and lightly coat each meatball, then place on a parchment lined sheet pan and cook for 8-10 minutes. Shaking the meatballs halfway through the cook.
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and refrigerate when cooled.
Gravy (Make Ahead)
- Pour beef broth and concentrate into the slow cooker, turn on high and cover.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, melt butter and brown onions on medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Add cider vinegar and brown sugar. Bring to a boil and let boil for 3–4 minutes. Then add a ladle of the beef stock to the skillet.
- In a small bowl mix the flour, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and black pepper. Then whisk into the skillet until combined.
- Add the skillet mixture to the slow cooker, cover and cook on high for 3 hours.
- Once the slow cooker is bubbling, in a small bowl, mix a ‘slurry’ of the cold water and cornstarch. When the cornstarch mixture is smooth, whisk it into the bubbling slow cooker.
- Cook for another hour (whisking occasionally) until the gravy has thickened. ** If using the gravy immediately, add meatballs 30 minutes after the cornstarch. **
- If making ahead, let cool and refrigerate until ready to reheat.
- Wash the potatoes.
- Cut each potato in half lengthwise, then cut each half into 4 wedges (8 wedges per potato). Larger potatoes will need to be cut into additional wedges. (They should be about 3/4 thick.)
- Place the wedges into a large bowl. Fill the bowl with cold water and soak the potato wedges for at least 20 minutes. Dry the potatoes thoroughly before baking.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine seasoning ingredients (no salt). Add olive oil to the seasoning mixture and stir well to combine. Drizzle over the potato wedges and use your hands to toss until evenly coated.
- Place wedges on the baking sheet, leave space between the wedges to get crispy edges. Sprinkle with salt to taste. Bake for 20 minutes. Flip each over and bake for approximately 20 more minutes. Wedges should be golden brown and cooked through.
Assemble the Poutine
- Divide potato wedges into six individual ‘boats’ or bowls.
- Layer on the cheese curds and pour/spoon the hot gravy with meatballs over the curds and wedges.
- Top with fresh chopped tomatoes, grated Parmesan, and parsley.
- Hope you enjoy it, eh!
Hope you enjoy this Slow Cooker Poutine with Meatballs recipe!
We would love to here from you, please leave us your feedback in the comment box below.
You may also like these other Crockpot™ recipes:
- Fiesta Chicken Chili
- Slow Cooker Spring Risotto
- Express Crock Pork Shoulder Rice Bowl
- Festive Turkey Chili
Have a delicious day! James (aka Zimmy) & Elaine