Felt like autumn today and it was time to start making soup to share with my mother & father. So, I kicked off soup season with their favourite soup recipe… Pear, Port, Potato & Stilton*! Served with a shot of white port to really warm your insides!
*Full disclosure: my parents favourite soup recipe is from the LCBO Food and Drink Holiday 2000 edition
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) butter
- 3 Bosc or Bartlett pears, peeled, cored and chopped
- ½ cup (125 mL) white Port
- 6 cups (1.5 L) chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped onion
- 3 leeks, white part only, cleaned and chopped
- ¼ cup (50 mL) chopped celery
- 2 cups (500 mL) peeled and chopped Yukon Gold potatoes
- ¼ cup (50 mL) whipping cream
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 oz (125 g) Stilton cheese, crumbled
- Melt butter in a skillet on medium heat. When butter sizzles add pears and cook for 7 to 10 minutes or until tender and browned. Add Port and bring to boil. Reserve Port and pears.
- Add stock to large pot. Add onion, leeks, celery and potatoes. Bring to boil on medium heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until all vegetables are tender. Add pears and Port and cook together 5 more minutes.
- Purée in food processor or blender until smooth. Return to pot, add cream, season with salt and pepper and simmer together for 5 minutes to blend flavours.
- Serve topped with cheese
If you like this Pear, Port, Potato & Stilton Soup recipe, you can fine more of my favourite soup recipes here.