Loaded Hummus with Air Fryer Harissa Sausage Balls.
I’ve seen several loaded hummus posts, so I decided it was time to put my own spin on it!
Homemade hummus base. Topped with red onions, tomatoes, pickled mushrooms, kalamata olives, pickled jalapeños, fresh parsley, crispy chickpeas (cooked in the air fryer) and Harissa spiced sausage balls.
I used a hot fennel plus hot Italian sausages, mixed with pepper, harissa, parsley , cilantro, panko and eggs for these easy, flavour packed sausage balls.
Served with pita or flatbread to dip or make a mouth-watering wrap!
Seriously, this was a perfectly balanced platter. Ideal for a party appetizer or a grazing board for the family!
Loaded Hummus with Air Fryer Harissa Sausage Balls
- 1 Air Fryer
- 450 g 1 lb hot fennel sausages (casing removed)
- 450 g 1 lb hot Italian sausages (casing removed)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon harissa spice
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ⅛ cup fresh parsley chopped
- ⅛ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- Olive oil – to lightly spray or brush on meatballs 4 teaspoons liquid – optional
- 2 cups canned chickpeas liquid reserved
- ½ cup tahini
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil plus extra for drizzling (optional)
- 3 cloves roasted garlic optional
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon plus more as needed
- 1 cup canned chickpeas rinsed and dried
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon of salt or to taste
- Put everything in a food processor (I use a Vitamix) and begin to process; add the chickpea liquid as needed to allow the machine to produce a smooth puree.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning (add more lemon juice if desired)
- Toss with olive oil to coat and a sprinkle of salt.
- Cook in the air fryer at 400 for 12 mins, shake two to three times.
- Remove to a plate and set aside until ready to use.
- In a large bowl, mix sausage, pepper, eggs, breadcrumbs, parsley, and basil.
- Form 3 cm (1 ¼ inch) sausage balls (approximately 28.5 g/1 oz) and place on a baking sheet. Lightly spray or brush a little olive oil on each meatball, then reshape with your hands to ensure the oil coats the entire ball. (The olive oil is optional but helps create a crispier golden exterior)
- Preheat air fryer to oven to 400°F.
- Bake in batches for 8 minutes at 400°F, shaking the meatballs halfway through.
Assemble & Serve
- First layer the hummus on a platter. Stack the meatballs in the middle of the hummus, then add an assortment of your favourite fresh and pickled vegetables, herbs and crispy chickpeas around the platter.
- Served with pita or flatbread to dip or make a mouth-watering wrap.
- Sausage balls can also be baked in an oven at 400°F (on the parchment lined baking sheet – middle rack) for 10-12 minutes, shaking the pan 2-3 times for even cooking.
- Serves 6-8 people as an appetizer, or 4 for a meal.
Hope you enjoy this recipe! We would love to hear from you, please leave us your feedback in the comment box below.
We’ve also linked our a few other favourite air fryer recipes –
- Air Fryer Chicken with Buttermilk Waffles. Preparing this classic brunch combination in your own kitchen is easier than you may think. All it takes is a little planning, an air fryer, and a waffle maker, to turn your table into the hottest brunch spot in your neighbourhood. Serve with honey, hot sauce and a side of slaw for the ultimate brunch plate!
- Air Fryer Sausage Meatballs. Using the combination of Grimm’s Spicy Italian & Bratwurst Sausages and served with orange-jalapeño-cranberry sauce and baguette rounds!
Have a delicious day! James (aka Zimmy) & Elaine