Grilled lemon-oregano chicken served with a village salad. It is one of our all-time favourites and tonight I think it tasted better than ever because it feels like forever since we’ve made it!
This recipe is easy and the bright flavours of the sauce will leave you wanting more! We typically make extra for leftovers the next day.
Also very delicious using chicken legs! Cook legs to 165°-167°F, before removing from grill.
Tips for Grilling Chicken
I find cooking chicken on the upper rack (of a clean grill), takes the stress of flares up away. The occasional flame will add a little char and flavour. Also, the heat from the top of the grill will brown and crisp up the skin. However, if the skin doesn’t brown in your grill, put the breasts skin side down on the lower rack for 3-4 minutes, until desired colour is attained. The chicken is moist and the skin is crispy, and in my humble opinion, it is the best method for grilling chicken.
Grilled Lemon-Oregano Chicken Wings
Not sure why it took me so long to make wings with this flavour profile, but rest assured it won’t be long before I make it again. The wings were seasoned with salt, pepper and oregano, then grilled over charcoal until crispy. The wings were basted with the Lemon Oregano Sauce then served with grilled lemons.
Check out my video to see how they turned out here.
Grilled Lemon-Oregano Chicken
- 4-6 chicken breasts skin on, bone-in
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh oregano
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1-2 lemons cut into, 1/3 inch thick, slices
- In a mini food processor, blend together lemon juice, oregano, garlic, salt, pepper, then slowly add oil while the processor is running to make the sauce.
- Place the breasts in a baking dish or resealable bag and add 1 tablespoon of sauce for each breast. Brush or rub the sauce to coat each piece. Place chicken in the fridge (covered) for 30-60 minutes. Reserve the rest of the sauce for serving.
- Starting with a clean grill; preheat all burners on medium (medium-high) heat. Adjust heat to reach approximately 400°F.
- Arrange chicken breasts, bone side down (skin up), on top rack of grill.
- Cook, with the lid closed, changing positions of the breasts twice, until cooked through, about 40 minutes (this will vary based on size and thickness of breasts, as well as actual temperature of grill). Remove chicken from the grill, when the internal temperature reaches 160-162°F.
- Transfer chicken to a plate, pour a little sauce over each breast, loosely cover with foil, rest for 5-10 minutes. Internal temperature with rise to 165°F while resting.
- Grill lemon slices, until grill marks appear, about 2-3 minutes/side. Serve each breast with 1-2 lemon slices and remaining sauce.
- Cook’s note: I find cooking chicken on the upper rack (of a clean grill), takes the stress of flares up away. The occasional flame will add a little char and flavour. Also, the heat from the top of the grill will brown and crisp up the skin. However, if the skin doesn’t brown in your grill, put the breasts skin side down on the lower rack for 3-4 minutes, until desired colour is attained.
- Also delicious using chicken legs! Cook legs to 165°-167°F, before removing from grill.
Hope you enjoy my Grilled Lemon-Oregano Chicken recipe!
We would love to hear from you, please leave us your feedback in the comment box below.
Have a delicious day! James (aka Zimmy) & Elaine