Roasted Butternut Squash, Cauliflower and Chickpea Curry.
Taking full advantage of the seasonal produce this time of year! This meal is flavour packed, creamy, satisfying, vegetarian comfort food. It tastes great and it’s good for you! The leftovers may even be better than the initial meal as the flavours continue to combine, so plan to have leftovers!
Roasted Butternut Squash, Cauliflower and Chickpea Curry
- 1 butternut squash about 1 1/2 pounds/608 g, peeled and seeded, diced into 3/4 inch (2 cm) cubes
- 1 small head of cauliflower about 1 pound/454 g, cut in 1 1/2 inch (4 cm) florets
- 1 pound 454 g new potatoes, cut into 1 inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- 6 tablespoon olive oil divided 2/2/2 tbsp
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 inch 5 cm x 1 inch (2.5 cm) piece of ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon hot chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 can 13.5 oz/400 ml diced tomatoes
- 1 can 13.5 oz/400 ml coconut milk
- 8 oz 240 ml vegetable stock
- 1 can 13.5 oz/398 ml chickpeas
- 8 oz 227 g, green beans washed, ends trimmed, cut into 1 1/2 inch (4 cm) pieces
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh cilantro chopped
- Pomegranate arils
- Red onion thinly sliced
- Crispy roasted chickpeas optional
- Brown Basmati rice cooked per package instructions for 6 servings
- Naan store bought or homemade
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Fill a 4 Qt sauce pan halfway with water and bring to a boil.
- Place the butternut squash on a sheet pan, drizzle with 2 tbsp olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Toss with your hands, then spread the squash out in one layer on the pan.
- On another sheet pan, drizzle the cauliflower florets with 2 tbsp olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Toss with your hands, then spread the cauliflower out in one layer on the pan.
- Roast both pans for 30 minutes, until squash & cauliflower are tender and slightly browned. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Add 1/2 tbsp salt to the boiling water, then add the potatoes and cook for 8-10 minutes until just reaching tenderness.
- Heat a 3.5 Qt sauté pan on medium heat, add 2 tbsp olive, then add the onion. Cook stirring occasionally for 4-5 minutes, then add minced garlic and grated ginger. Stir and cook for a minute.
- Add all the spices, stir to combine, and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant (add a little more oil if required, so it doesn’t burn.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, coconut milk and vegetable stock. Bring to a gentle simmer and let cook for 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and blend with a hand blender until smooth or use food processor. Transfer back to the pan.
- Add the chickpeas, potatoes and green beans then cook for 10 minutes. The sauce should be thick and creamy. Taste the sauce and season with salt and pepper..
- Add the roasted butternut squash and cauliflower, stir to combine and heat through (about another 5 minutes).
- Top with cilantro, pomegranate arils, red onion. Serve with brown basmati rice and warmed naan.
Hope you enjoy my Roasted Butternut Squash, Cauliflower and Chickpea Curry recipe! We would love to hear from you, please leave us your feedback in the comment box below.
Have a delicious day! James (aka Zimmy)
This curry was made and served in my stunning Hestan CopperBond Induction Copper 3-Quart Saucepan and CopperBond Induction 3.5-Quart Sauté cooked on our equally gorgeous Hestan Dual Fuel Range in Pacific Blue.