We love mussels because they are the most amazing vessel to enjoy any type of flavourful broth! The half shell is the perfect spoon shape to collect the ideal mouthful of broth with the tender mussel meat. This quick, easy and affordable recipe uses a store bought Red Thai Curry Paste to effortlessly infuse the broth with so much flavour!
- 2 pounds (907g) fresh PEI mussels, rinsed and beards removed
- 13.5 ounce (400ml) can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) red Thai curry paste (store bought)
- 1.5 cups (355ml) of fish stock (homemade, canned or cube)
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) brown sugar
- 3 bird’s eye chilies, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1.5” (4cm) piece of fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 kaffir lime leaf (or peel from 1/2 a small lime)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, washed, dried and chopped
In a large saucepan or skillet with a lid, simmer the coconut milk and curry paste over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the fish stock, brown sugar, chilies, ginger and lime leaf, stir and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Add the mussels to the pan, cover with a lid, raise the heat to high, and steam.
2 pounds of mussels will take 5 – 7 minutes to cook, but timing will vary depending on the heat, how much liquid you use, and the size & shape of the pan. Mussels are ready when shells are open and you can see the plump tender meats.
Sprinkle with the cilantro and serve with some fresh crusty bread for dipping in the wonderful broth — It’s that simple!
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 30 min
These mussels were served with toast for dipping, warm olives, grilled shrimp, grilled calamari and hummus with griddled veggies.
Hope you enjoy my Red Thai Curry Mussels recipe! We would love to hear from you, please leave us your feedback in the comment box below.
Have a delicious day! James (aka Zimmy) & Elaine