Easy Bolognese with a Spicy Twist.
This Bolognese inspired sauce is the perfect way to spice things up with your special someone. The hot Italian sausages and crushed chilies build on the flavours of the classic Bolognese and bring joy to your tastebuds. For a meal requiring little preparation, you will be amazed how much flavour is developed in a relatively short time!
Easy Bolognese with a Spicy Twist
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 1 garlic clove peeled coarsely chopped
- 1 small celery stalk coarsely chopped
- 1 small carrot coarsely chopped
- 2 hot Italian sausages casing removed (about 9 ounces total)
- 1 tablespoon crushed hot chili peppers in oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 14- ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf Italian parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves chopped (plus more for garnish)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 9 ounces of dry pappardelle noodles
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- In a 3.5-quart sauté pan warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until the onions are soft, 6-8 minutes. Add the celery and carrot and sauté for 5 minutes more.
- Raise heat to medium-high and add the sausage meat. Cook, stirring frequently and breaking up the sausage into small pieces until meat is browned, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add in the crushed hot chili peppers and tomato paste, stir to combine, then cook for 1 minute. Add the red wine and scrape off any burnt bits from the bottom of the pan, cook until most of the wine has evaporated, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, parsley, and basil, then cook over medium-low heat until the sauce thickens, 25-30 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper if required.
- While the sauce reduces, cook the pappardelle, per the package directions.
- Add the cooked pappardelle into the Bolognese pan, top with the parmesan and mix to combine.
- Garnish with chopped basil and more parmesan.
Hope you enjoy this recipe! We would love to hear from you, please leave us your feedback in the comment box below.
Have a delicious day! James (aka Zimmy) & Elaine